|Photo by wsilver|
1. The first thing you should know about Chihuahuas is that they need lots of attention. You should be prepared to play games, interact, and talk to your dog. Chihuahuas are a highly social dog and they bond strongly with their owners. They are not dogs that enjoy being alone at home all day.
2. If you have young children, the Chihuahua will compete with them for attention. The dogs don’t have a lot of tolerance for noise, though they make a racket themselves. You should also know about Chihuahuas that they can be biters. While they do not inflict serious damage most of the time, it is not a breed that makes sense if you have young children.
3. Chihuahuas don’t like changing residences. They are happy living their lives in one place. So, if you are a highly mobile family, you should consider a different breed. If you do move homes, you should be prepared for an upset dog at first.
4. Another thing you should know about Chihuahuas is that they don’t like for there to be other pets in the home. Sure, you can have a goldfish, but if there are other animals competing for your attention, your Chihuahua will not be happy. Chihuahuas often stand up to dogs twice their size and there can be a lot of fights if you have other pets in the home.
5. Contrary to the images that celebrities project with their “pocket pets,” Chihuahuas don’t like to be carried around. They enjoy running, walking, and playing, not being a fashion accessory.
6. Chihuahuas are not good travelers. If you are going across country in either a car or airplane, be prepared for problems from your pooch as they do not like being confined in a carrier.
7. About Chihuahuas, they like their personal space. The dog is very territorial and can dominate its space. You should expect the breed to be quite aggressive if a family member intrudes on what the dog has defined as his or her space.
8. Chihuahuas are jumpers. You will be surprised at just how much trouble a Chihuahua can get into in your kitchen! They can jump more than two feet from a standing position. Keep this in mind when you are stocking shelves.
9. They get cold easily. One thing every owner should know about Chihuahuas is that their short hair and bony frame means that they don’t retain heat well. If you live in a cold climate, buy sweaters and coats to keep them warm. Also, give them a warm bed with blankets if needed. If they’re cold, they can throw a tantrum.
10. Your Chihuahua is high strung. To keep him or her in line, it is important to keep their most common personality traits in mind when making training decisions. Before buying a Chihuahua, know as much about the dog’s background as possible.
So, those are 10 things you should know about Chihuahuas before you make the decision to buy one.